Caring for your Collection
So you've decided to invest your hard earned money into handmade, authentic Turquoise and Silver. Congratulations! Not only are you choosing to support Native Silversmiths whose passion and skills are second to none, you've also jumped into the world of collecting wearable art that is sure to be cherished for generations to come. So with that being said... how do you care for them?
Caring Turquoise & Sterling Silver Jewelry
Here are some Do's and Don'ts when it comes to caring for your collection.
- Remove your jewelry when cleaning or when using harsh household chemicals
- Keep your collection stored away from sunlight ( Sun = Tarnishing)
- Put your jewelry on last! (Makeup, hair products & lotions speed up tarnishing)
- Put silica packs where you store your silver ( This helps absorb moisture and prevents tarnish)
- Line your jewelry box in an anti-tarnish cloth, or store them in anti-tarnish bags
- Submerge in water! (This will cause swelling of the packing behind any stones and can cause stones to fall out)
- Use harsh chemicals such as chlorine ( This will react with the alloy and turn your jewelry black)
Cleaning Your Collection
Many Turquoise & Native Jewelry enthusiasts love the patina on Navajo pearls and if you're one of those people, then often no cleaning or polishing is necessary. Should you choose to, using a polishing cloth can give your jewelry some shine without removing any of the gorgeous patina.
However, when it comes to cleaning your Turquoise, Navajo Pearls or any other handmade jewelry, the best way to clean them is also the simplest.
I hope these tips help you to enjoy your jewelry collection for years to come!
Leave a comment